Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Foodie February: Starting your morning off with a little "G"rain





I love baking so I always make sure that I have flour in my pantry as I don't know what I am going to make next. I always make sure that I have Whole Wheat flour or Whole grain. I try to make it as healthy for my family and no matter what the recipe calls for I always use my flour I have.

The past few weeks our local grocery stores have had blueberries on sale and although my family eats them, they haven't been eaten as quickly as I would have liked then to. So I decided I was going to make some blueberry muffins today! This is the first time I have ever made them and wanted something that was simple but looked tasty.

I came across this recipe online at CanadianLiving.com and looked perfect! I used margarine instead of butter and only used 1/2 cup sugar and some honey. Here is my adjusted recipe, but feel free to check out Canadian Living for the original if you prefer. They tasted great and the batter does not over power the blueberries, which I liked. They equally balanced each other out.



Whole Wheat (Grain) Blueberry Muffins 

2 cups (500 mL) Whole Wheat/Whole Grain flour
2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
1/2 cup (125 mL) Light Margarine
1/2 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
1/4 cup (125 mL) honey
2 eggs
3/4 cup (175 mL) milk
1-1/2 cups (375 mL) blueberries

In bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. In separate bowl, cream butter with sugar; beat in eggs one at a time. Gradually stir in milk (mixture may appear curdled). Make a well in centre of dry ingredients; pour in liquid and stir just until moistened. Gently fold in blueberries.

Spoon into large paper-lined or well-greased muffin cups, filling to top. Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until tops are firm to the touch.

Enjoy!

If your looking for more great recipes be sure to check out the Foodie February button or search "Tasty Tuesday" or "Foodie February" on our blog.

No comments: